Skip to main content

PASS Summit Day 3

The final day of the PASS Summit started off with a great keynote speech by Dr. David DeWitt Ph.D talking about SQL Query Optimization.  
Dr. DeWitt is currently a technical fellow at Microsoft leading the Jim Gray Systems Lab.  He said "Rocket Science is easier than query optimization." So, if you fail at query optimization, they send you to build rockets.  This was one of those presentations that will need to be watched multiple times before all the non-Ph.Ds like me assimilate everything. He did a great job explaining an unbelievably complex topic in terms most people can understand. It'll just take me a few passes to totally understand. I hope.


DBA Mythbusters
A fun interactive session with Paul Randal from SQLSkills.com with Buck Woody playing a supporting role. Buck said the interaction with Paul was not rehearsed. Too bad video doesn't make it on the conference DVDs.


The PowerShell Cookbook for the DBA by Joe Webb
Joe did an excellent overview of how a DBA can use PowerShell to automate repetitive tasks. You can download the scripts from the session here.


Consolidating data collection with SQLDIAG and analysing it all with SQLNexus by Chris Bolton
I went to this session because I need to get more comfortable with these tools.
Chris did a very thorough walkthrough of how to use SQLDIAG and SQLNexus.
I need to read his book next.  


Business Intelligence in SharePoint 2010 by Brian Knight
A very well-rehearsed, entertaining and educational session. The presenters were supposedly doing tequila shots the entire 90 minutes but they were still standing at the end of the presentation so I think something else was in the bottle.


My hope for this series of blog posts is to highlight just a few sessions that I found worthwhile.  I think the PASS Summit conference DVDs are a compulsory purchase when attending.  There are too many excellent sessions to attend in three days. I don't think you get the full value of the conference unless you buy the DVDs.





Comments

  1. Ooo, nice, you got to see some great sessions. Those are all solid presenters. Just that day alone was probably worth the cost of admission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I'm hooked now. Can't say enough how valuable attending was to me. Inspired me in a number of ways. Thx for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Modifying Endpoint URLs on Availability Group Replicas

I recently had to modify the Endpoint URLs on our SQL Server Availability Group replicas.  The reason for this blog post is that I could not answer the following questions: Do I need to suspend data movement prior to making this change?  Would this change require a restart of the database instance? I spent enough time searching on my own to no avail that I tossed the question to the #sqlhelp hashtag on Twitter and Slack but didn't get an answer prior to executing the change request. After reading the relevant documentation, I think it's probably a good idea to suspend data movement for this change. The T-SQL is straightforward.  USE MASTER GO ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [AG1]  MODIFY REPLICA ON 'SQL2012-1' WITH (ENDPOINT_URL = 'TCP://10.10.10.1:5022'); ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [AG1]  MODIFY REPLICA ON 'SQL2012-2' WITH (ENDPOINT_URL = 'TCP://10.10.10.2:5022'); ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [AG2]  MODIFY REPLICA ON 'SQL2012-1

Set Azure App Service Platform Configuration to 64 bit.

If you need to update several Azure App Services' Configuration to change the Platform setting from 32 bit to 64 bit under Configuration | General settings, this script will save you about six clicks per service and you won't forget to press the SAVE button. Ask me I know. 🙄 Login-AzureRmAccount Set-AzureRmContext  -SubscriptionName  "Your Subscription" $ResourceGroupName  =  'RG1' ,  'RG2', 'RG3' foreach  ( $g   in   $ResourceGroupName ) {       # Set PROD slot to use 64 bit Platform Setting      Get-AzureRmWebApp  -ResourceGroupName  $g  | Select Name |  %  {  Set-AzureRmWebApp  -ResourceGroupName  $g  -Name  $_ .Name  -Use32BitWorkerProcess  $false  }       # Set staging slot to use 64 bit Platform setting      Get-AzureRmWebApp  -ResourceGroupName  $g  | Select Name |  %  {  Set-AzureRmWebAppSlot  -ResourceGroupName  $g  -Name  $_ .Name  -Slot  "staging"  -Use32BitWorkerProcess  $false  }  }

AzureRM Templates 101

I've recently started working with AzureRM templates to build new environments. This document really helped me understand the template structure when I first started looking at them. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-authoring-templates I love examples when I'm trying to learn something new and the Quick Start templates are the mother lode.  https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates Our goal is to incorporate our templates into an Azure Blueprint so that we can quickly build new environments when needed.  AzureRM templates can be artifacts of a blueprint. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/governance/blueprints/overview